Port of New OrleansNew Orleans, Louisiana
The Port of New Orleans commissioned a new 75,000 square foot headquarters facility on the Mississippi riverfront, directly on top of the federal levee. In addition to a new riverfront park, the project incorporates a 200-seat auditorium and office space for the Port’s 180 person staff. Clad in brick on its west side facing the city, the building emulates the masonry detailing and construction of the buildings comprising New Orleans' 19th century warehouse district. On the Mississippi River side the building transforms into larger masses clad in stone and glass, more the scale of the ships and barges constantly moving up and down the river. A magnificent and striking triptych by local artist John Scott depicting the history of the Mississippi River enlivens and activates the public lobby.
Because the building is on the river's edge, straddling the box levee and a concrete wharf constructed in the 1950’s, the project required an innovative foundation system comprised of concrete piles and precast post-tensioned floor planks in order to minimize loads on the levee bank. The project was completed in 1996 and received an Honor Award from the AIA New Orleans and from AIA Louisiana.
Awards1996, Honor Award, AIA New Orleans
1997, Honor Award, AIA Louisiana
1997, “Best of New Local Architecture”, New Orleans Magazine